Past, Present and Future
A bit of history
Established in 1983, Maison Interlude House has always supported women victims of domestic violence and their children who are at the core of its development efforts. As a result, nearly 30 years later, MIH has become a multi-services organization to better meet the various needs of women who use our services. Even though at the beginning, MIH provided services exclusively in Prescott and Russell, since 2003, our mandate has been expanded to provide services, through our Outreach Services, to the counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
Maison Interlude House is administered by a Board of Directors, which oversees the organization’s operations and development. Volunteer Board members represent the five counties. Today MIH can rely upon its women-only team of approximately 25 employees who are devoted to the elimination of violence against women... a perfect illustration of our motto "by and for women".
Employees are divided into two teams, both having separate and distinct mandates: one based in Hawkesbury, which provides services relating to the shelter and the other based at our site in Alexandria where all MIH Outreach Services are grouped together. Our services are all free and confidential, and offered in French and English.
Through our programs and services, Maison Interlude House, on average, each year
- Provides shelter for 80 women and children
- Supports 400 women and 100 children through the Outreach Program
- Helps 250 women via the Transitional and Housing Support Program
- More than 500 twinnings for transportation and child care services through the Hand in Hand Network
- Offers 4 « Pattern Changing...» groups for women
- Offers 2 « Self Discovery » groups for women
- Offers 2 « Girls Only » groups for teanagers
- Receives 1400 crisis calls
- Raises awareness amongst 1,000 people on violence against women through community-based and school-based awareness and education activities.